I’m gonna step onto my soapbox for a moment, to address an issue that’s been bothering me a lot on social media:
- It is not cool to build yourself up, by tearing others down.
- Not everything in life is a competition.
- You should not expect everyone to be like you. You/society should not be the standard of what’s okay and what’s not.
- Different, does not = Bad.
- Life should not be a club, seeing who’s in and who’s out.
- Living in one decade, does not make your childhood better or worse than another’s.
- No part of history since the Fall, has been better than the other. Since sin, there has always been murder, rape, suicide, and so many other monstrosities.
- I am not better than you. You are not better than the hobo in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Just as the Declaration of Independence states: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator . . .”
- Not one country is better than another. Yes, one may have air-conditioning while another has mud huts, but where one is lacking, another has. Where one is blessed with technological advances, another is blessed with simplicity.
- You don’t have to try and be better than everyone else to build your self-esteem or to make yourself feel good. In fact, the Bible teaches the opposite: “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted” (Matthew 23:12).
Therefore, instead of always competing, instead of tearing down, instead of comparing–let us strive for unity, to build up, and to accept others, as we work together to better ourselves.
With that said, I’m stepping off my box, now.